30.8.05

On music, dance and the rest of my life

Real life takes too much time, the blog has to wait... so I actually do have a life, it seems. Besides working, I'm getting started with my hobbies, and there is also the Helsinki Festival, where I saw Tinariwen and Zap Mama last week. Tinariwen was nice, but I still don't understand what the fuss is all about - "the hottest band out of Africa since... maybe ever", I don't think so. I mean they played very well and all, but their music just doesn't seem that original, it's quite close to Ali Farka Touré's "desert blues", only with more singing and a bigger band. And we felt sorry for the djembe player who played the same rhythm in at least half of the pieces... The highlight of the evening was a traditional Touareg song sung by Mina Walet Oumar (the only woman in the band), she has a wonderful voice, sadly all the other songs were sung by the men. But they really were exactly how I imagine Touaregs: tall, proud and very cool.

Zap Mama was pretty cool too, but in a different way. Marie Daulne really has the whole show thing down. That's to say that the gig was very entertaining. And the music had it's moments as well, although it seemed that there was kind of too much of everything. I actually do like the new r'n'b/nu soul/hip hop style album, but obviously I also liked the old a cappella albums a lot. I suppose Marie Daulne would like to do more of the Erykah Badu type of stuff, but these African vocal techniques are Zap Mama's trademark, so she was trying to do both, which didn't always work. I enjoyed the soukous/ndombolo dance solos (especially by the DJ guy), they reminded me of the Congolese band we went to see in Sheffield. The Congolese must have the craziest dance styles in the world... although they aren't that different from the Senegalese pop dances really.

Juju Club

Speaking of dancing, I'm starting with flamenco again tomorrow. The lessons would have started last week, but I couldn't go because of the Tinariwen concert (on Tuesday) and the lectures I'm giving at the University (on Thursday). I hope I can keep up with the others, we didn't do much technique in the lessons I went to in Joensuu. Here in the flamenco school there are always at least two lessons a week on every level, one for technique and one for learning a choreography, whereas in Joensuu we only had one lesson a week. Anyway, it will be nice to dance, the (West) African dance lessons don't start until next week.

I've also started yoga again, I was planning to do some on my own during the summer, but I didn't - as could be expected (lazy me). So the first time was pretty hard (as could be expected; the next day I could hardly walk), we even did a bit more of the (first) ashtanga series than what I'm used to. Most of the time I was just thinking that ashtanga is to hard for me, I'm just not strong enough, but I did go to the class a second time already, and I guess I'll keep trying. I don't really have that much ambition for yoga (and I hate chanting the mantras), I think of it more as something that might help me with dancing. It's the same thing with going to the gym - which I also did last week - or well, yoga is more interesting. And feels better.

Päivän poliittiset mietteet

Kun nyt oon ryhtynyt kesän jälkeen suorastaan kantaaottavaksi tässä blogissa, niin jatketaanpa samoilla linjoilla: YK on tutkinut maailman tilaa ja saanut selville, että globalisaatio ei vähennä eriarvoisuutta. Eikö sitä muka ennestään tiedetty? Vaikka on kai se hyvä, että joku virallinen taho on nyt senkin todennut ja todistanut. Tuossa uutisessakin puhutaan taas "kehitysmaista", ja mietin mitä se "kehitys" oikein tarkoittaa. Jotenkin se aina assosioituu mulla talouskasvuun, jota ihmettelin jo joskus monta vuotta sitten. Siis että miten talous voi aina vaan kasvaa, mistä se raha oikein tulee? Ja onko se sitten sitä "kehitystä", mitä niihin kehitysmaihin yritetään täältä "kehittyneistä" maista viedä? Ehkä tän assosiaation pintaan nousu liittyy myös kolumniin, jonka luin pari viikkoa sitten Vihreästä Langasta. Linkittäisin, mutta kun sitä ei ole julkaistu netissä, otsikkona kuitenkin "Ikuinen talouskasvu on looginen mahdottomuus, mutta kuka sanoisi sen ääneen?" ja kirjoittajana Jussi Laitinen (josta en tiedä mitään enempää). Otsikko kertookin olennaisimman - niinpä niin, näin vähän arvelinkin. Eipä taida olla kovin järkevää saada lisää maita tähän hulluuteen mukaan.

Ei kommentteja: