15.12.06

Big yellow taxi

Well, I'm off to Senegal, once again, in about nine hours. I'm actually trying not to work much this time, so I'm not taking my computer with me, which means that you'll have to wait for photos etc. until I'm back. But maybe I'll write something, I most probably won't be able to keep myself away from internet for four weeks... and I don't think I'll even try. Not working might also be hard, because we'll be taking dance lessons with a friend that's going to Dakar with me, maybe drum lessons, too. It's a bit hard to keep lessons for fun and for work apart... And I'm kind of thinking about doing a few interviews as well.

As some kind of a result of reading (and a few discussions) I've decided to replace my number one guru, the good old Alan P. Merriam with John Blacking, for the simple reason that doing research on "culture in music" as well as "music in culture" seems more interesting than just the latter. As for "music as culture", it doesn't say very much about what research should (or could) be about. But I really better go to bed and get some sleep - before that big yellow taxi is coming to pick me up - and leave the rest of any theoretical ramblings for January.

Ei kommentteja: