24.6.05

Home again

As not to neglect my non-finnish speaking friends, this one in english: I moved back to Helsinki on Wednesday and now I've finally unpacked most of my stuff. The new place is much nicer than the appartment I had in Joensuu, although there are still quite a few things to be fixed. But I think I'll like it here, I'll take some photos when I get everything ready. Merja took some photos when we had finished carrying things in - which took only about half an hour! - but I haven't seen them yet.

Obviously I haven't had much time to enjoy Helsinki yet, except for the radio channels I've missed, of which I've been mostly listening to Groove FM while unpacking. Other nice ones are Radio Helsinki and a new one called Bassoradio that can be listened to online as well. And I used to like YleQ also, but there have been so many changes in the radio programming of YLE (the Finnish Broadcasting Company) that the channel is probably not the same as it was two years ago. I must be some kind of a media addict, the first things I set up here were the TV and the stereo (to listen to radio). And now I also have an internet connection here at home...

What else is there to tell, the sun has been shining and I'll be spending midsummer in the city. Feeling tired but pretty happy.

[Added June 25th:] The photos by Merja are on my flickr page, if you really want to see them... it's hard to look good when you have been sweating all day.

[Added July 27th:] I've been quite pleasantly surprised with my old favourites Groove FM & YleQ. Although both use playlists (as far as I know), the variety of music is quite wide, especially for Groove FM, which is after all a commercial channel. Both actually play quite a lot of songs in other languages than English, which is rarely the case for any of the other radios that play popular music. Well, maybe that isn't that amazing for Groove FM, because they play a lot of jazz (there's some kind of Brazilian bossa nova playing right now), but just today they played Amadou & Mariam on YleQ, right between some hit songs you might hear on any other station also. Cool!

1 kommentti:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Having looked at your pictures, I am extremely impressed to see how well you and your friends have learnt to cook traditional Finnish food. As proof, there is a picture of a correctly blackened piece of lenkkimakkara (a world-famous Finnish delicacy) in the series of pickies called "Joensuu". Clearly Joensuu is a true Etho-Uni:)) Thanks for sharing!