13.11.05

Helsinki Cadenza

baobabs
I'm finally starting to realize that I'm actually going to Senegal in just a bit over two weeks. I mean, of course I have been talking about it for months and all, but I haven't really felt it. Senegal always seems like another planet or some kind of parallel universe when I'm in Finland, unreal somehow. But Pathé was again here in Helsinki this weekend and meeting him and the others (and maybe dancing and playing sabar, too) gave me this strange flash of a feeling of what it is like there. I get that sometimes from photos or music, too, but quite rarely.

This week I have been busy writing an article, staying up late because I haven't been able to get up early (early is anything before sunrise, meaning quite late here this time of the year). I was supposed to write two articles before leaving and rewrite a third one, for which I got lots of suggestions for corrections from the journal, but I'll probably manage only this one. I finally got the article ready on Thursday, or the first version of it anyway. I'll present it at our seminar next Wednesday and the editors of the book it's for will most probably ask for changes, as well.

Kirjoitin näistä artikkelisuunnitelmista suomeksi syyskuussa, ja olisihan se pitänyt arvata, että juuri ja juuri yksi kolmesta/neljästä valmistuu. Jos aikaa tuntuu riittävän muuhun, niin yritän korjata arvioinnista tullutta artikkelia, mutta korjauksia pitäisi tehdä aika paljon, todennäköisesti muokata koko artikkeli uuteen uskoon, joten en taida ehtiä.

Congo LifeThis weekend I've spent most of my time at the sabar workshop by Pathé & co or sitting somewhere with the people there. I also went to see Kékélé, who played here in Helsinki yesterday evening. I didn't really know much of them, except that they play this old style Congolese rumba and seemed to be quite popular in Paris when I was there in summer 2004. I'm not that much into this kind of music, I like soukous and other newer Congolese styles better, but the three singers had lovely (very Congolese) voices and were above all very charming. They seemed to me something like the Buena Vista Social Club of Congolese music, and reading their homepage now, that's what they are in more than one way. Wim Wenders could probably make a nice movie about them.

At the concert I met a couple of other Senegalese people I haven't seen for a while (since summer at least). That was good, one of them will be going to Dakar around Christmas, like so many others, which is quite nice for me. I'll need to find some new contacts there and many of the musicians and dancers I know in Dakar live somewhere abroad now. Pathé promised to make some calls to find a good drum teacher for me, besides that I don't have much planned, just hoping to find some nice place to stay in Dakar.

All this has obviously been a bit too much, I seem to be coming down with a flu or something.

Kunhan kuluu viisi vuotta

Viime viikonloppu oli kummallisen täynnä nostalgiaa. Lauantai-iltana olin todennäköisesti viimeistä kertaa makasiineilla, kesään mennessä ne kai on jo purettu pois, eikä tiedossa ole mitään erityistä syytä vierailla siellä ennen Senegaliin lähtöä. Voisihan sitä tietysti käydä vaikka Ruohonjuuressa, uudella nostalgiatripillä ja muutenkin. Niin, siellä makasiineilla oltiin 120-vuotisjuhlissa, jossa nostalgiaa lisäsi päivänsankarien itsensä esittämä musiikki, erityisesti pari Don Huonojen biisiä. Sankarit näyttivät ikäistään nuoremmilta ja oli kivat bileet muutenkin, mutta en sitten jaksanut kovin myöhään jaksanut juhlia kuitenkaan.

Sunnuntaina taas vierailin äidin ja isän luona, koska talo täytti 20 vuotta - tänään isänpäivävierailulla tosin kuulin, että virallinen juhlapäivä onkin vasta ensi tiistaina. Tai miten se nyt sitten muutenkaan lasketaan, talo ei ollut ihan valmis vielä silloin 20 vuotta sitten, kun sinne muutettiin asumaan. Ennen muuttoa iloitsin kovasti isommasta huoneesta, jonka ikkunat olivat ilta-aurinkoon päin, se kai oli jotenkin romanttista 10-vuotiaan mielestä. Mitään romanttista ei kyllä siinä huoneessa ikinä tapahtunut. Mieleenpainuvin muisto on sen sijaan se aamu, kun pehmokenguru (Kengu, jonka mahapussissa asui tietysti Ruu) oli jäätynyt lattiaan kiinni... Ei talon kunniaksi kyllä sen suurempia juhlia järjestetty, kunhan käytiin syömässä äidin laittamaa ruokaa. Ja testaamassa uutta ompelukonetta. Ruoka oli hyvää ja ompelukonekin toimi (sain uusien tanssihousujen lahkeet lyhennettyä). Talo oli samanlainen kuin ennenkin.

Ei kommentteja: