28.10.05

I need some warmth

Sipoonkadulla3

As you can see on the photo (from the street where I live), winter has arrived to Helsinki. It has been freezing cold for some time already and now there's also snow. I'm so glad I'm going to Senegal, I can't stand the dark and cold here.

Älkääkä tulko mulle väittämään, ettei lokakuu muka ole vielä talvea, jos on lunta niin on ihan varmasti talvi. Ja talveahan täällä Suomessa riittää sitten seuraavat kuusi kuukautta ainakin. Kesä taas taisi tänä vuonna kestää noin kaksi viikkoa... mutta minäpä lähden ihan pian Senegalin auringonpaisteeseen, lällätilää!

I didn't see the first snow falling, actually, because I was on a cruise to Stockholm with two friends. I haven't been there since 1991 maybe, so I guess it was time to go there, if only for the five or six hours we had. My friends put those hours to good use shopping, I just bought one book and lots of chocolate. And drove the others crazy by photographing everything. Anyway, it was nice to just get away from everything for the day (+ two nights on the ferry). But now I'm pretty tired, didn't get much work done today although I really should have after taking time off for the trip.

Unfortunately I'll have to get up early tomorrow, too, to hear the defence of a colleague's dissertation. That should be interesting, though, it's about the construction of national identity in the popular music performances in Finnish films of the 1950's and 1960's (hopefully that was a more or less correct formulation). [AV:n väitöskirjan esittely löytyy suomeksi ainakin täältä.] I'm also looking forward to the party in the evening, I haven't been out anywhere for weeks.

Ei kommentteja: