13.8.06

Somebody leave the light on

It's been a bit hard getting back to work with Astou staying here at my place and all the dance workshops etc. Anyway, I've been sitting at the office and hoping to find some ideas for this article that I should be writing. (Office seems so official... this past week it has been more like a place to escape from the rest of the world.) I haven't been getting much further with the article, but besides dancing I've also been reading and thinking about dancing a lot, so maybe I'll eventually come up with something worth writing about.

It has been a bit strange dancing in studios with mirrors after such a long time. But for some reason I haven't been much looking at myself in the mirror at the dance lessons. I don't know if I just somehow forget that they are there or if I'm scared that I might not like what I see. And just a few days ago I was reading an article where the author was claiming that mirrors shouldn't really be used in dance teaching, because then people concentrate only on the visual image and not on how the movements feel. In a way that's probably true, but then again it seems important to get that visual feedback, too, sometimes at least. A bit too often, at some sabar parties I went to in Dakar, I thought I had danced quite well there (and people were even telling me so) but then I saw the video and wasn't that convinced anymore.

A&E3But I suppose I've learned something since last November. A couple of weeks ago I saw a video of one of my dance lessons in Dakar in January at a friend's house and that watching that one was a bit disturbing, but then again, comparing that one to a dance lesson I filmed in May, I felt like I have achieved something. I'm not trying to become a professional dancer or anything, but it's nice to see some progress after so many hours of practising and feeling like not really learning anything. And if it's true that dance is a kind of "cultural knowledge" like they say, I might even - some day - be able to translate some of that knowledge into some kind of "academic knowledge" which I'll need for writing my dissertation...

- - Yes, I know this isn't really what you all want to read about, but you'll just have to wait for the other stuff. For the moment I'm not quite sure what I should and shouldn't write here as more and more people I know seem to be reading this blog. - -

Oh, almost forgot... I also wanted to tell another kind of funny thing I've noticed lately: I really enjoy listening to Finnish pop/rock. It's not that I usually don't, I was just thinking about when I came back from my first trip to Senegal (I spent 3 months there that time) in April 2000. Back then I couldn't stand to listen to practically any kind of Western pop music for a long time. It just sounded too boring (rhythmically probably). So maybe Finnish bands are getting better, or maybe this just tells something about my state of mind at the moment.

Ei kommentteja: